Thursday, February 09, 2006

The First Africans....

I just finished editing a report for Archaeology at About on a site in the town of Campeche in the Yucatan peninsula. One problem I have is trying to get feedback from academics who are already too busy, and often times the feedback comes after I've published. I really need to figure out what is a fair amount of time to wait for feedback.

Africans in the New World

The main difference between the article as I published it and the article today, is that instead of calling the article "the first African Americans" it is more properly "Early Africans in America". Fact is, the site is still (as far as I know) the first skeletal remains of African people who can be proved to have been born in the Americas. It's a matter of semantics, of course--but...

I've already heard from folks who want to argue that the Olmec civilization is descended from Africans, which I'm afraid is still not proven archaeologically. It's one of those alternative archaeology theories I'm not entirely comfortable discussing. Am I a scientist or a public archaeologist? Who knew there was (has to be) a difference?

No comments: