Thursday, February 23, 2006

Sureyya's Journey: A Bump in the Road to an Archaeology Career

Sureyya's Journey: A Bump in the Road to an Archaeology Career

This is the third installment of a series I'm calling Sureyya's journey. I met Sureyya Kose through my bulletin board. She's an IT engineer in Melbourne, Australia (of Turkish descent), who got sucked into archaeology by the interesting things that we find. She's also an interesting writer, and I like encouraging those kinds of folks.

She's been struggling on her own trying to get into archaeology, but not talking to professionals. This month she got a huge setback when she applied to university and was turned down, because she had no coursework outside of IT. I keep trying to get her to contact the local professionals, but I think she's a little afraid to commit.

But, as I say, her level of enthusiasm is pretty high, and her writing is vivid and interesting. I have my hopes that, if she ever actually gets over the 'shock and awe' of talking to real archaeologists about a 'real' career in archaeology, she may indeed enhance our profession.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I wanted to know if Sureyya gave up her dreams of becomming an archeologist, and if she is remaining a IT consultant because she failed the first entry?

Don't ever give up Sureyya! Even if you do not know it, there will always be people out there hoping you achieve your dreams, and even if it takes a long time, as long as you are doing what you want. It is better to be poor and alone but doing what you love, than rich and with friends and family, yet leading a mediocre life.

Good luck